Website promotion on Chinese market through Baidu
Baidu is one of the most popular search engines in China, which occupies over 85% of Chinese search engine market, and takes the second place in the world by the amount of processed user requests (around 4 billion requests per year). With the launch of Japanese version the amount of Baidu users increased so significantly that it’s become even more popular than Bing (American search engine).
What is Baidu?
Search engine Baidu was founded in 2000, today it covers around 900 million pages, 15 million media files and 100 million graphic files. As any other search engine, Baidu has a bunch of peculiarities, and censorship implemented by Chinese government is a must-notice one.
Website optimization for Baidu
What exactly should we do if we want to optimize our website according to Baidu needs and which features keep in mind? Let’s take a look at the most important ones:
- Indexing speed. The speed of indexing pages and external links in Baidu (as well as in Yandex) is vastly lower than the one in Google.
- Updates. Baidu updates its search ranking every Thursday.
- Vertical search. Baidu search engine in its’ SERP ranks vertical search results rather high: leading positions in the search ranking may be given to the links on the different projects of the same company (i.e. not only to the website itself, but also to the forum pages, video blog, etc.).
- External links. External links pointing to your website affect the ranking in a positive way. Especially if those external links are located on Baidu services.
- Keywords. While picking out the keywords, we need to pay attention to several aspects: first of all, instead of dividing the requests into high-, mid- and low-frequent, in China all the requests are divided into short (2-3 characters) and long ones (4 characters and more). Worth to mention also, that short requests compare to the long requests are more difficult to promote (the same as in Google).
- Content. Important to know that Baidu as well as Google is very negative about copy-paste content and inevitably exclude such pages from the search. Chinese search engine Baidu is very demanding about originality and uniqueness of the content, otherwise the website may be banned.
- robots.txt. Robots.txt files may not be recognized by Baidu, even while indexing the pages and different sections of the website.
- Website map. Instead of xml.gz it’s better to use XML map of the website.
- Never ever choose Google Fonts by default. They’re either not supported by Baidu at all or can be recognized incorrectly.